People usually do not associate Boston Children's Hospital with the effort to fight the COVID-19 pandemic, because Boston Children's is a pediatric hospital and COVID-19 has primarily sickened and killed the elderly, with only a few percent of symptomatic patients under the age of 18. However, Boston Children's has stepped up to the challenge posed by COVID-19 in several very important ways:
- It has taken transfers of pediatric patients from adult-oriented hospitals, so that those hospitals can repurpose their pediatric beds to handle the overflow of severely ill adult COVID-19 patients.
- A few percent of a million plus total COVID-19 cases still amounts to tens of thousands of kids sick with COVID-19 in the US! Boston Children's is treating its share of these kids and working with a national coalition of children's hospitals to understand how the disease progresses in children and to share hard won knowledge among these hospitals on how best to treat it.
- A web based disease tracking app developed by Boston Children's Hospital researchers originally for detecting flu outbreaks is one of the prominent tools being used to help assess the spread of COVID-19 throughout the world on a daily basis.
- Boston Children's researchers are among those racing to develop a vaccine for the Corona Virus.
- Boston Children's has responded to the loss of mobility resulting from quarantine lockdowns by boosting its capacity to conduct remote doctor-to-patient clinical appointments by telephone, Zoom, and other means (a.k.a. "telehealth") over tenfold in record time!
For all of these reasons plus the continuing ongoing work of Boston Children's Hospital to care for every kind of pediatric ailment, I am strongly advocating this year's, for the first time virtual, EverSource Walk for Kids fundraiser for Boston Children's Hospital. You can be sure that any amount you can give will be put to good use!